Scots Fall 3-1 in Penalties to Kenyon in NCAC Semifinal

Mila Zunich

GAMBIER, Ohio – The College of Wooster, up 3-1 with just over nine minutes to play in regulation, lost 3-1 in penalty kicks to Kenyon College on Tuesday afternoon at Mavec Field.

The Fighting Scots (7-7-4) move to 1-5-5 all-time in North Coast Athletic Conference Tournament games, including a 1-1-3 record as the No. 4 seed. Of note, Wooster graduates no seniors after the 2017-18 academic year.

First-year Mila Zunich opened the game's scoring in the 37th minute. Sophomore Claire Davis, the recipient of a through-ball down the right sideline, timed her run before delivering a back-post pass to an open Zunich, who tapped it in for her second of the season.

The Scots headed into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

Nine minutes into the second period, Kenyon's Emma Klug pounced on a loose ball and converted from close range as junior goalkeeper Maddy Ireton's diving save attempt came up short.

Two shots later, Wooster regained the lead as junior Erica White smashed in her own rebound to give the Scots a 2-1 advantage in the 66th minute.

Kenyon, who prior to Tuesday had only given up one goal in conference play all season, saw themselves go down 3-1 in the 81st minute. Despite the Ladies controlling a majority of the possession throughout the second half, a clinical counter-attack led by sophomore Krissy Blanchard led to a one-on-one opportunity for first-year Miura Wiley, who tucked it away in the left side netting.

The Ladies (9-6-3) wasted no time, however. Twenty-six seconds later, Klug tallied her second of the game with a chip shot over Ireton to make it 3-2 with 9:21 remaining.

Just over four minutes later, Kenyon's Morgan Engmann tallied the equalizer off the assist from Samantha Hayes.

At the end of regulation, Kenyon held a 16-9 shot advantage, including a 4-3 lead in shots on goal.

In the first overtime, each side tallied one shot, neither of which fell on frame. In the final 10 minutes, Wooster managed one shot while limiting Kenyon to zero.

The Scots, who arrived 2-1 all-time in conference semifinal penalty-kick decisions, saw themselves in a quick 1-0 hole after Devin Frisby missed her attempt proceeding Kenyon's conversion from Campbell Fee.

Successful attempts from Kenyon's Caroline McNeer and Wooster's Kylie Hawkins pushed it to 2-1 before Kiele Anderson and Zunich each missed to keep it that way through three rounds.

Next up, Hayes witnessed her attempt rattle off the post. With an opportunity to equalize through four rounds, junior Emma Lawrence stepped up and lifted it off the crossbar, giving the Ladies a chance to seal a spot in the championship game.

To close, Brianna Maggard approached the line and with a quick conversion propelled the Ladies to Saturday's championship match, which will be hosted at Kenyon on Nov. 3 against the winner of the Denison-Wittenberg semifinal.